In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, we recommend you continue your job or internship search with the understanding that some recruiting and hiring initiatives maybe continue to be conducted remotely. We still recommend seeking traditional in-person experiences during this time as employers and job situations evolve.
Job & Internship Search Timeline
The timeline for your search is largely dependent on your desired industry. For example, corporations hiring cohorts for post-graduate jobs or summer internships will start the hiring process the fall before. Federal government agencies also have long lead times. For most other industries, we recommend beginning your search four months in advance.
Career & Leadership Digest
Check your wisc.edu inbox for our weekly e-newsletter to receive the most up-to-date listings of jobs and internship postings, career events, and resources for SoHE students!
Career development tools
Handshake makes it easy for every UW–Madison student to explore career events, connect to jobs and internships, and even schedule on-campus interviews. With Handshake you can:
- Browse and register for career events on campus
- Explore thousands of jobs and internships from over 200,000 employers nationwide
- Get personalized job recommendations based on your major, interests, and more
- Manage your own campus interviews with top employers
To Get Started:
- Visit https://wisc.joinhandshake.com
- Activate your account by clicking the blue button or entering your wisc.edu email address
- Complete your profile and start exploring!
Questions? Browse these resources, or contact us for more information.
The School of Human Ecology is pleased to offer current SoHE students a free career development tool that helps prepare students for a job interview.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training and practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. Big Interview features a variety of tools including:
- Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
- A database of thousands of interview questions along with tips on how to answer them
- The ability to rate your interview answers as well as share them with others for feedback
- A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
- A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
To set up your SoHE Big Interview account, follow these three steps:
- Visit the site’s homepage and “Register”.
- Complete the registration process using your wisc.edu email address.
- Click “Verify” in the confirmation email you receive, and you’ll be able to start using Big Interview.
Read the Big Interview Student Guide for more information on how to use the system.
Questions? Contact your Career Advisor.
Space is available in Nancy Nicholas Hall for Human Ecology students looking for a quiet location with reliable internet connection to complete a job or internship interview (virtual and/or phone interviews are the most common).
Interview spaces are available during building hours from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM CST Monday through Friday during the academic year.
Please complete this request form at least 3 business days prior to your scheduled interview. If you are completing multiple interviews, please fill out a form for each. A member of our Career Development staff will review your request and reach out with more information.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Networking and building your professional community
Identity and work
- Identity workplace resources from our partners at SuccessWorks at the College of Letters & Science
- Disclosing a Disability in the Workplace
- Chezie- Career Insight Platform for Diverse Employees