With these resources, you can begin to explore career options, prepare for your job/internship search, and find opportunities. As a first step, we recommend taking a look at the Career Guide for your major.
Job & internship search timeline
The timeline for your search is largely dependent on your desired industry. For example, corporations hiring cohorts for post-graduate jobs/trainee programs or summer internships will start the hiring process the fall before. Federal government agencies also have long lead times. For most other industries, we recommend beginning your search four months in advance.
Career & Leadership Digest
Check your wisc.edu inbox for our weekly e-newsletter to receive the most up-to-date listings of jobs and internship postings, career events, and resources for SoHE students!
Career development tools
This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.
Handshake makes it easy for every UW–Madison student to explore career events, connect to jobs and internships, and even schedule on-campus interviews. With Handshake you can:
- Browse and register for career events on campus
- Explore thousands of jobs and internships from over 200,000 employers nationwide
- Get personalized job recommendations based on your major, interests, and more
- Manage your own campus interviews with top employers
To Get Started:
- Visit wisc.joinhandshake.com
- Activate your account by clicking the blue button or entering your wisc.edu email address
- Complete your profile and start exploring!
Questions? Browse these resources, or contact us for more information.
The School of Human Ecology is pleased to offer current SoHE students a free career development tool that helps prepare students for a job interview.
Big Interview is an online system that combines training and practice to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. Big Interview features a variety of tools including:
- Challenging, virtual mock interviews for all experience levels and dozens of industries
- A database of thousands of interview questions along with tips on how to answer them
- The ability to rate your interview answers as well as share them with others for feedback
- A comprehensive video training curriculum covering all aspects of landing a job
- A step-by-step interview Answer Builder for crafting answers to behavioral questions
Read the Big Interview Student Guide for more information on how to use the system.
Questions? Contact your Career Advisor.
Space is available in Nancy Nicholas Hall for Human Ecology students looking for a quiet location with reliable internet connection to complete a job or internship interview (virtual and/or phone interviews are the most common).
Interview spaces are available during building hours from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM CST Monday through Friday during the academic year.
Please complete this request form at least 1 business day prior to your scheduled interview. If you are completing multiple interviews, please fill out a form for each. A member of our Career Development staff will review your request and reach out with more information.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Each semester, Human Ecology partners with other schools/colleges across campus to host a variety of career fairs and events (virtual and in-person) for students to network, learn about organizations, and explore internships and/or post-graduate jobs. Learn more about upcoming career fairs and how to prepare for them.