Academic Dean’s Services

Welcome to the School of Human Ecology (SoHE) Undergraduate Academic Dean’s Services.

Academic Deans are here to help you navigate your academic journey and personal growth and address barriers to your success. We know that attending college offers many amazing opportunities, but you can equally face new challenges and obstacles along the way.

Guided by empathy and compassion, we are your go-to resource for a wide range of academic and personal matters. Whether you need advocacy, guidance or support, we’re here to make your college experience the best it can be.

Meet Our Team

Alicia Hazen

Credentials: Assistant Dean & Career Services Director

Patrick Jackson

Credentials: Senior Assistant Dean, Undergraduate Student Services

We’re your advocates and problem solvers, and we’re here to ensure your success at UW–Madison. Whether you have concerns about your courses, are facing personal challenges, or are struggling financially, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Email: SoHE Dean’s Services

Schedule Appointment: Starfish or call 608-262-2608

Our Services

Academic Deans can assist you with a wide variety of needs. Below are a few of the most common topics that we help students with. Each student is unique, and we are here to find ways to best support you throughout your time with us in the School of Human Ecology:

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

Enrollment and Deadlines

Late Add/Drop of Courses: Need to add or drop a course after the university deadlines due to a non-academic circumstance outside of your control? We’re here to help you navigate this process and ensure you’re on the right track. Please complete the Dean’s Policy Exception Form after speaking with your academic advisor.

Credit Overload Approval: Do you have a compelling reason to take on a high credit load? We can help you consider the pros and cons of a credit overload, and evaluate your exception request. Please complete the Dean’s Policy Exception Form after speaking with your academic advisor.

Difficulty Enrolling in a SoHE Course: Contact your academic advisor or email SoHE Enrollment <>

Personal Challenges

Personal Challenges/Disruptions: Life happens, and we are here to support you through personal and academic challenges that may affect your academic progress. Let us help you, rather than struggling in silence or trying to tough it out.

Emergency Financial Support: If you are facing financial challenges, we can connect you with campus and SoHE resources to alleviate stressful financial hardships and its negative impact on your academics. Please reach out to us if you are facing housing insecurity, food insecurity, need to work excessive hours or difficulty purchasing school supplies.

Personal and Medical Withdrawals: If you need to take a break from your studies, we will help you understand the withdrawal process and connect you with the necessary resources to withdraw from the university.

Admissions Appeals and Delcarations

Admissions appeals: Were you not admitted to your desired major and believe you have new information that would support an appeal of the decision? We’ll guide you through the process and offer support.

Major application and declaration: Do you have questions about how to apply or declare a SOHE major? See or attend Advising Drop-in Hours

Declaring dual degrees: Thinking of pursuing two undergraduate degrees at once? We’ll guide you through the requirements and approval process to declare the dual degrees. Please complete the Dean’s Policy Exception Form after speaking with your academic advisor.

Classroom and Instructor Issues

Grade Appeals: If you believe a grade is unfair or inconsistent with the syllabus, we can guide you through an appeal or mediation.

Faculty or Student Grievances: If you are experiencing academic or behavioral challenges in the classroom, we can mediate disputes and provide guidance. In addition, you can also consult the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards for concerning student behavior.


Academic Standing and Readmission

Probation and Academic Drops: Our academic standing process is intended to identify and alert students who are experiencing academic difficulties and prevent further damage to your academic record. We can assist you in understanding your options and developing a plan.

Reentry/Readmission to UW-Madison: If you’ve been away from school for a period of time, we’ll help you navigate the Reentry to UW process  to continue your degree. Please complete the Dean’s Policy Exception Form after speaking with your academic advisor.

And much more!

Campus Services

And much more!

Our Academic Deans are dedicated to ensuring you have the support you need to thrive during your time at UW-Madison.

Get in Touch:

To schedule an appointment with an Academic Dean, use Starfish, call 608-262-2608, or email 

Whether  it’s academic advice, personal support, or anything in between, we’re here to help you succeed in achieving your goals. Your success is our priority, and we’re excited to be part of your journey at SoHE!